MamaTENS uses TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) to relieve pain by a) helping the body to release natural painkillers (called endorphins) and b) by blocking pain signals to the brain.
Maternity TENS machines have an excellent reputation as one of the safest, most effective forms of modern pain control available to women during childbirth. Midwives recommend MamaTENS as the machines are safe to use and enable mothers to remain mobile and upright during labour; aiding the descent and dilatation to provide a more natural, drug-free form of pain relief.
Please see the User Manuals and Terms and Conditions for more information.
CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS (Please read instruction manual carefully before use)
Do not use TENS:
• Observe caution when using the MamaTENS at the same time as being connected to monitoring equipment with body worn electrode pads; it may interfere with the signals being monitored.
• Strong electromagnetic fields (electrosurgery/microwave cookers/ mobile phones) may affect the correct operation of this unit. If it appears to behave unusually, move it away from these devices.
• Use caution following recent surgical procedures. Stimulation may disrupt the healing process.
Do not place electrode pads:
• On broken skin. The pads could encourage infection.
• On skin which does not have normal sensation. If the skin is numb, too great a strength may be used, which could result in skin inflammation.
• On the front of the neck. Could cause the airway to close, giving breathing problems. May cause sudden drop in blood pressure (vasovagal response).
• Over the eyes. May affect eyesight or cause headaches
• Across the front of the head. Effect on patients who have had strokes or seizures is not known. May affect sense of balance. The effects of stimulation of the brain are unknown.
• Near malignant tumours. In vitro experiments have shown that electricity can promote cell growth.
• Ignore any allergic reaction to the electrode pads. If a skin irritation develops stop using TENS, and try a different type of electrode. Alternative pads specially made for sensitive skin are available.
Also do not:
• Immerse your TENS unit in water or place it close to excessive heat. It may cease to operate correctly.
• Attempt to open up the TENS unit. This will invalidate the guarantee.
• Mix old, new or different types of batteries.
• Use this device with leads, electrodes, and accessories other than those recommended by the manufacturer. Performance may vary from specification.
IF IN DOUBT CONSULT YOUR MEDICAL PRACTITIONER, MIDWIFE OR OBSTETRIC PHYSIOTHERAPIST